Experience the Cabot Trail
One day simply isn't enough.
The Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island is one-of-a-kind. With the Atlantic Ocean on one side and the Highland mountains on the other, there are so many beautiful places to experience and explore. Visit a local artisan shop, hike in the wilderness, or swim under a refreshing waterfall. The journey is up to you!
Fewer than 20 minutes' drive from Cabot shores you can discover numerous local artisans. Here is a list of just a few:
- Piper Pewter - Across the street from Cabot Shores. Specialize in lead-free pewter products
- Colouratura Fine Art Gallery - 1km from Cabot Shores. This former church turned gallery also offers homemade chocolate which is delicious!
- Iron Art and Photographs - 10 km from Cabot Shores. From photographs to sculptures, as well as functional and decorative ironwork for your home.
- Leather Works - 2 km from Cabot Shores. A variety of leather goods from belts to wallets, handmade on the premises.
- Sew Inclined - 5km from Cabot Shores. Unique hats and clothing
- Glass Artisans Gallery - 6km from Cabot Shores. Discover the intricate world of expressions in glass.
- Wildfire Pottery - 8.5 km from Cabot Shores. Features the artistry of Sarah Beck, along with a book store.
Cape Breton Highlands National Park
You can’t go wrong sightseeing and hiking in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park! There are dozens of trails for you to explore, with all the stunning beauty that Cape Breton has to offer. We have maps at our front desk and would love to offer advice on where to go if you need help deciding!
"One of Canada’s most enchanting places, where the mountains meet the sea.
As you hug the world-famous Cabot Trail coastline you'll wind through Cape Breton Highlands National Park, where lush, forested river canyons carve into the ancient plateau, edged by rust-coloured cliffs.
Keep your eyes open for moose and bald eagles. You might even catch a minke or pilot whale breaking waves in the Atlantic, or Gulf of St. Lawrence. And you’re never far from a steaming plate of local lobster fresh from the ocean around you."
-from the Government of Canada website
Please call tour operators in advance to determine schedule during pandemic.
If you’re coming all the way East to dip your toes into the Atlantic, you may as well step on a boat. In fact, one way to get to Cabot Shores is by the Englishtown Rerry – a full 10 minutes' ferry ride!
So what adventure catches your fancy? Whales, puffins, birds, seals? Book a whale watching excursion or a puffin & bird tour! All are close at hand to Cabot Shores, your home base for exploring the Cabot Trail.
Cape Breton Rated Top 10 Romantic Places in Canada
"Possibly the most romantic aspect of vacationing on Cape Breton Island is the fact that things move slowly there. You can live in your hotel room for days without missing your laptop. You can take a snowshoeing trip to areas with no cell-phone service and never miss that annoying buzz that comes every five minutes. In Cape Breton it’s all about you, your partner and breathtaking landscapes. Visiting Cape Breton takes relaxation to new levels, which means you have nothing but time to devote to the one you love the most."
~ Concierge to Canada Vacay.ca