Open year round. Choose between a beautiful chalet, a magical yurt, a treetop or tranquility dome, cozy lodge room, or a campsite. Cabot Shores is the perfect base camp to explore Cape Breton and the Cabot Trial. But first, explore our great packages.
July on Cape Breton Island has been defined by beautiful days of warmth and sunshine, broken up by a handful of rainy days… and our organic gardens here at Cabot Shores are loving it! Thanks to the hard work of our garden-to-table interns, who faithfully weed, water and tend the plots on a daily basis, we’ve so far enjoyed a bountiful harvest of fresh greens, baby kale, herbs, garlic scapes and, most recently, broccoli!
Both the staff and guests of Cabot Shores have had the opportunity to indulge in our garden’s fresh produce. Greens and herbs are used by our Bistro chefs to create garden salads and vegetable sides, garnish sandwiches, and add a burst of freshness to other menu items like daily soups, pasta dishes, and more. Many of our guests appreciate that they are able to savor a delicious meal, and then step right outside to tour the garden where some of it was grown.
Meanwhile, the Cabot Shores team takes inspiration from the garden for our own meals as well, finding many ways to incorporate its bounty in to our cooking. From garlic scape pesto and tossed salad, to vegetable curry and Pad Thai… every night promises a new, fresh experience in the staff kitchen!
Hungry yet? Good, because we’ve decided to share with you one of our favorite garden-inspired recipes for Creamy and Crunchy Broccoli Salad. Fresh broccoli right out of the garden is preferable for the best flavor, and nutritional value, but if you don’t have any on hand, the grocery store variety will do!
This salad is simple, quick and healthy- the perfect dish for your next summer picnic, potluck or pool party. Better yet, it’s completely vegan, gluten free, raw and delicious. Enjoy!
Creamy and Crunchy Broccoli Salad
Prep time: 30 minutes – Serves 6 people
For the salad…
- 8 cups chopped broccoli crowns (and stems!)
- 3/4 cup diced sweet or red onion
- 1 cup julienned carrot
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted almonds
For the dressing…
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grape seed or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons water
- Pre-soak raw cashews in water for 2-4 hours.
- Chop broccoli crowns and stems in to bite-sized pieces, julienne carrots, and dice onion.
- Mix vegetables in a large bowl.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a high-speed blender; blend until smooth and creamy.
- Mix the dressing with the vegetables until evenly coated, then add raisins.
- Allow the salad to marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.
- When ready to serve, top with toasted almonds.